A hairdresser, Yetunde Oladipupo, also known as Iyabo has been reported dead after she committed suicide at Owututu in Somolu LGA of Lagos.

Oladipupo was reported to have ingested insecticide on Friday after she saw off her visitors who had earlier been with her.

The victim was later rushed to Gbagada General Hospital where she gave up the ghost.

It was learnt from media report that Oladipupo who hailed from Ijebu-Igbo in Ogun State could not pay up the loan of N150,000 she collected from a microfinance bank and her creditor has been disturbing her to pay.

It was also gathered from a resident that she has been dejected because she could not settle her debt.

“Iyabo (Oladipupo) has four children and her husband is based in Abuja. He comes home once in a while. She was a hairdresser and had a small shop where she sold some things.

“She borrowed N150,000 from a microfinance bank. When the pressure became too much for her and she could not pay, she became desperate, drank the insecticide and died.” He said.

Another neighbor of the deceased said she committed suicide minutes after two friends had visited her.

“Around 7pm, two friends visited her and she saw them off. As she was returning, she went to a shop opposite her house where they sell provisions.

“After picking the insecticide, she asked the shopkeeper for a nylon wrapper, but the shopkeeper declined her request and said she should return the insecticide. She kept it somewhere around her dress and left.

“As she was ascending the stairs to the first floor where she lived, she drank the insecticide. Within seconds, she started feeling uncomfortable and called her five-year-old child to go and get help. She was rolling on the floor and groaning with pain.

“Everybody was alarmed upon seeing the empty container of the insecticide. She was taken to a private hospital on the street, but she was rejected. She was then rushed to the General Hospital, Gbagada, where about five doctors struggled to save her life. She, however, died.” The neighbour said.

An official of the general hospital confirmed the victim was brought in but died on Saturday.

“The woman was brought to the hospital around 7pm on Friday and her people said she collected a loan which she could not repay. We don’t know the details. Doctors tried to save her life, but she could not make it.” He said.

Leave a Comment