Ebonyi Government House was burnt on Friday when a fire erupted at the account section, disrupting activities in the complex.

As at press time, no life was lost in the fire incident which began in the morning.

Senior Special Assistant to Gov. David Umahi on Internal Security, Dr Kenneth Ugbala, told NAN that the combined effort of workers and the state fire service enabled them put the fire out.

“The fire outbreak was caused by a faulty electrical connection within the accounts section and the level of damage was minimal.

“An upholstery and cottons within the section were completely burnt and we would ascertain the true extent of damage when the fire service concludes its task,’’ she recounted.

A witness of the incidence who declined revealing his identity said the fire started when thick smoke was coming out from the account section.

“The shouts for help attracted workers who used improvised items such as water and detergent to put out the fire before the arrival of firemen,” the witness said.

Ebonyi State Chief Fire Officer, Mr James Owoh, said there was prompt response of the fire service to distress call from the government house.

“We have always been responsive to distress calls and Government House officials acknowledged that the situation was promptly put under control,” Owoh affirmed.

Hits: 28

Leave a Comment