The truck driver in the N2 Pongola accident on Friday, 16 September, handed himself over to the authorities after initially fleeing the scene.
TRUCK DRIVER IN PONGOLA ACCIDENT ARRESTED
As previously reported, 21 people, including 19 school children, died in the crash between the truck and a bakkie on Friday.
“The driver handed himself over to the police today after a call by the MEC for Transport, Community Safety and Liaison, Sipho Hlomuka,” said the KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport on Saturday.
Before he surrendered himself, the provincial police launched a manhunt after he fled the scene. The driver is expected to appear before the Pongola Magistrate’s Court on Monday and MEC Hlomuka will be in attendance.
“His arrest is important in assisting the families to deal with the devastation of losing their relatives. We commend the police who have had to activate all systems to make sure that the driver is pressured to surrender himself. We will be there to support the people of Phongolo and the families during his court appearance on Monday,” said the MEC.
Dashboard camera footage of the tragic accident emerged and allegedly showed the truck driver attempting to overtake another truck before crashing into the bakkie.
MORE ON THIS: Dashcam footage of the horrific N2 Pongola crash