The National Social Security Fund is a Kenyan government agency responsible for the collection, safekeeping, responsible investment and distribution of retirement funds of employees in both the formal and informal sectors of the Kenyan Economy. Participation for both employers and employees is compulsory. The fund is both a pension fund and provident fund. Requirements for NSSF application
The National Social Security Fund was established in 1965 through the Act of Parliament Cap 258 of the Laws of Kenya. It initially operated as a Department of the Ministry of Labour until 1987 when the act was amended, transforming the fund into a state corporation under the management of a board of trustees. Under the National Social Security Act of 2013, both employed and the self-employed and their dependents qualify as contributing members. The act (law) on pension requires all Kenyans that are above 18 years of age to register to the program.
The board of trustees is composed of workers’ representatives through the Central Organization of Trade Unions, employers through the Federation of Kenya Employers and the Government of Kenya through the Ministries of Labour and Finance. This composition ensures that the board accommodates the views and aspirations of the three social partners in policy formulation and running of the organization.
Requirements for NSSF application
Register as a member: Voluntary
If you are in self employment, all you need is to visit any NSSF Office closest to you with:
- Your original National Identity Card (ID Card), Alien Card or Passport and a copy of it
- You will then pay a minimum amount of Ksh 200, as an initial contribution to activate your card
We will record your details and register you. You will then be issued with an NSSF membership card. You can then start contributing to your account at your nearest NSSF branch or through MPESA. Click here to know how to contribute through MPESA
You may choose to begin your registration process through our online portal by clicking on the button below:
- Before you commence your NSSF card application process, you need to ensure that you have the following documents;
- Kenyan National Identity Card or valid passport
- Your employer appointment letter. This case applies to all employed persons.
- Employer’s name and NSSF number
- A valid copy of your Kenya revenue authority (KRA) PIN
Was this article helpful?