The lawyer representing Chief Segun Oni in the eligibility case against Governor Kayode Fayemi which appeal is before the Supreme Court, Chief Ademuyiwa Adeniyi, has written a petition to the lawyer representing Fayemi, identified as Balogun R.O.
Adeniyi complained about the breaking news report in the social media which claimed that the Supreme Court has “dismissed Oni’s case and affirmed the Court of Appeal Judgement in favour of Fayemi”.
Chief Adeniyi claimed that the said case with suit number: SC 205/2019 and SC 206/2019 was only heard in open court on April 2, 2019 and judgement reserved for April 18, 2019, adding that: “Curiously, the social media was awash by noon on Wednesday, April 3, 2019, that the Supreme Court had rendered its judgement in favour of Dr. Kayode Fayemi, the incumbent Governor of Ekiti State.”
In the petition, Chief Adeniyi had cited two individuals he alleged were agents of Fayemi as the purveyors of the news which hit the social media by 11:30 am on Wednesday, April 3, almost 24 hours after the case was heard. He mentioned one Oska Seyi Ayeleso who posted the news on Ekiti Eleven (E11) Club WhatsApp and one Oluwaseun Famiodu, popularly called Ejanafish who posted his own on Ekiti First WhatsApp platform.
He further claimed that his investigation revealed that others who also allegedly posted the news in the social media including one Odebunmi Idowu who made a Facebook posting at 12:33 pm on April 3.
Adeniyi’s petition also alleged that a similar activity was carried out just before the two previous judgements at the trial and the Appeal courts when the judgements that were eventually rendered were partly reported in the social media just before they were read.
In a show of magnanimity, however, Chief Adeniyi said in the petition “It behoves me as counsel to draw the attention of their Lordships at the Supreme Court to this development, but I shall refrain from doing so for now. If your client and his social media people/supporters do not cease and desist; I shall ensure that my client harvests all these offensive posts and forward same to the Supreme Court.” So far it is not known if R. O Balogun & Co had responded.
Adeniyi further claimed that the said report generated mixed reactions in Ekiti through the follow-up commentaries in the social media. The pro-Oni camp is quite worried and is expressing deep concern on the impartiality and objectivity of the Supreme Court in this case. On the other hand, the Fayemi camp is already celebrating the victory and are flowing various kites on the “punishment” to mete out on Segun Oni and his lieutenants involved in the legal matter.
“Our check revealed that the Supreme Court indeed heard the case on Tuesday, April 2nd, 2019 and reserved ruling for April 18th, 2019,” he said.
Source: Daily Post