The National Social Security Fund is a Kenyan government agency responsible for the collection, safekeeping, responsible investment and distribution of retirement funds of employees in both the formal and informal sectors of the Kenyan Economy. Participation for both employers and employees is compulsory. The fund is both a pension fund and provident fund. NSSF Card Application Procedure
The National Social Security Fund was established in 1965 through the Act of Parliament Cap 258 of the Laws of Kenya. It initially operated as a Department of the Ministry of Labour until 1987 when the act was amended, transforming the fund into a state corporation under the management of a board of trustees. Under the National Social Security Act of 2013, both employed and the self-employed and their dependents qualify as contributing members. The act (law) on pension requires all Kenyans that are above 18 years of age to register to the program.
The board of trustees is composed of workers’ representatives through the Central Organization of Trade Unions, employers through the Federation of Kenya Employers and the Government of Kenya through the Ministries of Labour and Finance. This composition ensures that the board accommodates the views and aspirations of the three social partners in policy formulation and running of the organization.
NSSF Card Application Procedure
Once you have met the above requirements for an NSSF card application, proceed to the next stage. The offline registration process is as follows:
- First, visit any NSSF office branch in your locality or Huduma center. Once there, approach an NSSF officer. They will give you a form to fill out.
- Fill in all the necessary details honestly and without any errors
- Attach all your documents once done. It is advisable to use certified copies whenever possible
- Return the form with the attached documents to the NSSF officer
- They will take the complete prints of your fingers for both hands
- Later, you will be issued an NSSF membership card at the same station.
The voluntary (self-employed) NSSF member and the employed member can apply for their NSSF card number in Kenya online. Note that you must have all the requirements as explained above. The documents help with easy NSSF card processing.
- Once you have all the documents with you, apply as follows:
- Visit the NSSF official web page.
- Click on the NSSF: Members section.
- Choose accordingly, depending on your employment status.
- Alternatively, you can download the NSSF card forms from the website, fill them out, and submit them at your nearest NSSF branch.
Was this article helpful?