Safaricom PLC is a listed Kenyan mobile network operator headquartered at Safaricom House in Nairobi, Kenya. It is the largest telecommunications provider in Kenya, and one of the most profitable companies in the East and Central Africa region. The company offers mobile telephony, mobile money transfer, consumer electronics, ecommerce, cloud computing, data, music streaming, and fibre optic services. It is most renowned as the home of MPESA, a mobile banking SMS-based service. How to Buy Safaricom Data
Safaricom controls approximately 64.5% percent of the Kenyan market as at 2020 with a subscriber base estimated at approximately 35.6 million.
In terms of voice market and SMS market share Safaricom controls 69.2% and 92.2% respectively.
Safaricom was formed in 1997 as a fully owned subsidiary of Telkom Kenya. In May 2000, Vodafone Group PLC of the United Kingdom acquired a 40% stake and management responsibility for the company. In 2008, the government offered 25% of its shares to the public through the Nairobi Securities Exchange.
Safaricom PrePay and PostPay Data Bundles
This Service enables Safaricom PrePay and PostPay subscribers to access mobile internet services by purchasing data bundles. The Service is open to all Safaricom PrePay and PostPay subscribers.
You can browse using any of the following affordable options:
- Data Bundles
- Time-Based Tariff
- Out of Bundle Tariff (Pay As You Go)
The Data Bundles listed below are available for you to choose from
Daily Data Bundles:
|Daily Data Bundles||Data (MBs)||SMS||Price (Kshs)||Validity Period|
|Daily 7MB||7MB||7||5||24 Hours|
|Daily 15MB||15MB||15||10||24 Hours|
|Daily 50MB||50MB||50+ WhatsApp||20||24 Hours|
|Daily 150MB||150MB||150+ WhatsApp||50||24 Hours|
|Daily 500MB||500MB||500+ WhatsApp||99||24 Hours|
- To activate the Daily Data bundle dial *544# from your mobile number.
- Your bundle will be valid for 24 hours. You will have 24 hrs to use your bundle both on first activation, on renewal and always during the period you remain subscribed onto the bundle.
- Billing will be carried out daily at midnight (0000hrs).
- The bundle purchased will automatically be renewed at midnight each day for as long as you have sufficient air time.
- Once the bundle expires at the end of 24 hours, it cannot be reactivated. However, you can roll over the unused portion of the Data Bundle if you have adequate airtime for automatic renewal at midnight. Note that a Daily Data Bundle can only be rolled over by purchase of another Daily Data Bundle. Further, the Daily Data Bundle cannot rollover another Data Bundle.
- If you exhaust your bundle within 24 hours, you will be charged the published out of bundle rate.
- You can subscribe into a particular Daily Bundle only once per day.
- To subscribe out of the Daily Bundles dial *544# and choose the “unsubscribe”.
Weekly Data Bundles
|Weekly Bundles||Data (MBs)||Price (Kshs)||Validity Period|
|350MB||350MB+ WhatsApp||99||7 Days|
|1GB||1GB+ WhatsApp||250||7 Days|
|3GB||3GB+ WhatsApp||500||7 Days|
- To purchase the 7-day bundle, dial *544# and choose “7 Day Bundle”.
- Choose the Bundle you prefer and pay through M-PESA or Airtime.
- The Weekly Bundles are valid for seven (7) days from the time of purchase.
- At the expiry of 7 days, any unused bundles will expire and will be permanently unavailable to you. However, if you buy another bundle before the lapse of the 7 days, your unused bundle will be rolled over and be available to you for the validity period of the new bundle you have purchased. Note that the new bundle purchased should have a longer validity period compared to the balance period of your current bundle.
Monthly Data Bundles
|Monthly Bundles||Data (MBs)||Price (Kshs)||Validity Period|
|2GB||2GB+ WhatsApp||500||30 Days|
|5GB||5GB+ WhatsApp||1000||30 Days|
|15GB||15GB+ WhatsApp||2000||30 Days|
|25GB||25GB+ WhatsApp||3000||30 Days|
- To purchase the Monthly Bundle, dial *544# and choose “30 Day Bundles”.
- Choose the Bundle you prefer and pay by M-PESA or airtime.
- The Monthly Bundles are valid for thirty (30) days from the time of purchase.
- At the expiry of 30 days, any unused data will expire and will permanently be unavailable to you. However, if you buy another bundle before the lapse of 30 days, your unused bundle will be rolled over and be available to you for the validity period of the new bundle you have purchased. Note that the new bundle purchased should have a longer validity period compared to the balance period of your current bundle.
Time Based Tariff
- Safaricom Prepay subscribers can activate a time-based Tariff which will enable them to access the internet at Kshs. 2/- per minute billed per second regardless of the volume of data downloaded. The subscriber will be billed per second for as long as the mobile phone or modem remains connected to the internet.
- How to activate the Tariff:
- From your Prepay mobile phone, dial *142#. You will receive an SMS confirmation message upon successful activation; or
- For Modems, from your Prepay modem line, send an SMS with the word ON to 142. You will receive an SMS confirmation message upon successful activation;
- If you have an existing Data Bundle, the Bundle must first be used until it is exhausted or expired. It is only then that you can enjoy the per minute data tariff. Activating the Tariff is however possible when you have an active/existing Data Bundle. You will only be able to use the activated Tariff once you exhaust your Data Bundle
- If you have an active Data Bundle together with Time Based Tariff at the same time, you will first have to use and exhaust the Data Bundle. Once the Bundle is exhausted, you must re-start your browsing session so that you enjoy the Time Based Tariff that you have already activated. If you do not re-start your browsing session or you do not buy another Data Bundle, you will automatically be charged an out of bundle rate at the prevailing rate (currently Kshs. 4/- per MB).
- To deactivate the Time-Based Tariff, send an SMS with the word ‘OFF’ to 142 from the Prepay mobile phone or modem. You will receive an SMS confirmation message upon successful deactivation.
- Time Based Tariff shall not apply to roaming subscribers. Roaming subscribers will be charged applicable tariffs based on the roaming network.
Out of Bundle Tariff
- The Out of Bundle Tariff is Kshs. 4 per MB. PrePay and PostPay Data Bundles Amended June 2020
- The Out of Bundle Tariff is a Pay as You Go Tariff enabling subscribers to use Safaricom data on the go without subscribing to any of the above plans and bundles.
- All you need to do is purchase Safaricom airtime and start browsing. You will also enjoy the Out of Bundle rate when you continue browsing after the expiry of or depletion of your bundle.
- You can now manage your Out of Bundle browsing by activating your Data Manager as follows:
- dialing *544#;
- select “My Data Manager”:
- select “1- Activate”. You will receive a notification informing you of successful activation and you will be unable to browse out of bundle.
- If your Data Manager has been activated and you were browsing and you do not have a data bundle or your data bundle is about to expire you will receive a pop up message with the option to buy a data bundle, Okoa a data bundle or redeem Bonga points for data bundles.
- If you wish to reselect out of bundle browsing dial *544#, select My Data Manager and select “2- Deactivate” to deactivate My Data Manager.
Priority of Consumption
- If you purchase more than one of the data plans offered by Safaricom, the following is the priority of use:
- Data Bundles starting with the Daily Data Bundle;
- Okoa Internet
- Bonga Data
- Free Resources (Data)
- Out of Bundle or Time-based Tariff
Data Sambaza (Transfer)
This data product enables Safaricom subscribers to transfer (sambaza) data bundles from one Safaricom line to another. For more details, see our terms and conditions for Data Sambaza on our website.
Transition from Previous Bundles
- If you have an existing weekly, monthly or 90-day Night Bundle, you will have 180 days to use it after which it will expire and be unavailable.
- The Daily 120MB Data Bundle will no longer be available for new subscription. If you have this bundle, it will continue renew daily for as long as you have sufficient air time. Once you subscribe out of it the Bundle it will not be available for re-subscription.
- The night Daily Bundle will expire at the end of 24 hours and will not be extended.
- The Off-Peak Data Bundle (Night 1 GB Data Bundle) will no longer be available for new subscriptions. If you have an existing Off-Peak Data Bundle, you will use it for the validity period of 3 days after which the bundle will not be available for re-subscription.
How to Access the Service
- PrePay subscribers can activate a data bundle in the following ways:
- Safaricom Airtime Card:
- Purchase a Safaricom Airtime Card of the desired denomination;
- From your mobile phone dial *544*voucher PIN number# OR
- From your mobile phone or modem send an SMS with the voucher PIN number to 544;
- You will receive a message confirming the status of your data bundle purchase; (v) Upon successful purchase of a data bundle, you will receive a message confirming the bundle purchased and the validity period.
- From Safaricom Airtime loaded for voice:
Buy your bundle from *544# or www.safaricom.com/bundles
- Purchase of data bundle for another Safaricom mobile number
- Purchase a Safaricom Airtime Card of the desired denomination;
- From your mobile phone dial *544*<voucher PIN number>*<MSISDN of
- From your mobile phone or modem send an SMS in the following format to 544:<Voucher PIN number>*<MSISDN of recharged subscriber>
- You will receive a message confirming the status of the data bundle purchase;
- Upon successful purchase of a data bundle, the third party and yourself will receive a message confirming the bundle purchased and the validity period.
- Purchase of Data Bundle through M-PESA for your Safaricom mobile number.
Purchase of Data Bundles through M-PESA is available only to Safaricom subscribers registered on the M-PESA service and purchase can only be done for a PrePay recipient. Both PrePay and PostPay customers have an option to change PIN by dialing *126# but only PrePay subscribers will be able to reset PIN for themselves. Postpay subscribers should contact Safaricom customer care for reset of PIN. To purchase data bundles using M-PESA, follow the steps below:
- From your mobile phone dial *544#
- Select the bundle of your choice from the menu
- Select M-PESA
- Enter PIN (USSD / NETWORK PIN). If you have no PIN set, you will be prompted to set up one.
- You will receive a notification that your request has been received and is being processed
- You will then receive a message from M-PESA (for example “C085FLO11 Confirmed. 250Ksh sent to 958300 – Safaricom Data Bundles for account on 27/3/15 at 2:56PM New M-PESA balance is 984Ksh.”)
- You will also receive a message confirming the details of the bundle that you have purchased (for example “You have successfully purchased 300MB Data Bundle, Expiry date:26-03- 2015.”)
- Safaricom Airtime Card:
- PostPay subscribers can access the Data Bundles through their Selfcare Menu.
- Dial *200# from your PostPay mobile line, select “Internet & Bundles Subscriptions” and follow the prompts.
- You can also buy a data bundle for another Safaricom mobile number through the methods in 7.1 (c) and (e) above.
On line Purchase
Both Prepay and PostPay subscribers can also purchase Safaricom data online using their computers, tablets, or mobile phone by via www.safaricom.com/bundles.
- Definition: “Personal Information” means personal identifiable information as prescribed in the Data Protection Act which includes but is not limited to name, address, phone number, identification number, location data.
- Collection: We are required by law to collect certain personal information and are legally obligated to deny you the service if such information is not availed. Apart from the legal obligation mentioned above, we also need to collect your Personal Information for quality service delivery. Please note that although this is voluntary, without such information we may not be able to provide quality service.
- Privacy: We are committed to respecting and protecting the privacy of the information we collect from you. Our privacy statement, as updated from time to time, explains how we treat your personal information, who we share your information with and measures taken protect your privacy when you use our Service. This can be found on Safaricom Data Privacy Statement. If unable to access the link or our website, please reach us on any of our customer care channels to receive a copy.
- Minors: When registering a minor as a Safaricom subscriber, a person with parental authority shall open and maintain an account in their name for and on behalf of the minor. For purposes of these Terms and Conditions, a person with parental authority shall include the birth parents of a minor, legal guardian or other person who can demonstrate legitimate authority over the minor’s affairs.
- This service is a shared resource therefore the speed maybe affected by the number of users at any given time.
- Airtime topped up as a data bundle cannot be reversed.
- It will not be possible to reverse purchases made through M-PESA. PrePay and PostPay Data Bundles Amended June 2020 Page 10 C1 – Public
- Okoa Jahazi credit will be deducted first on top up and if the balance is not sufficient to buy the desired bundle, the balance will be topped up on your line as airtime.
- You will not be able to purchase a data bundle directly from Safaricom airtime card for use on Partner Networks. You will continue to enjoy the same service on voice.
- Safaricom data bundles are not for re-sale. You therefore will not resell data bundles purchased under these terms and conditions. Safaricom takes no liability for such resell or purchase through resell and further reserves the right to withdraw this service from you if you breach these terms.
Extension of Terms
- Safaricom reserves the right to modify, vary, amend or withdraw this service and Terms and Conditions including the privacy terms. Such changes will be communicated through the media, Safaricom website or any other appropriate avenue as Safaricom may determine. Any update to the privacy terms will be available on the Safaricom website www.safaricom.co.ke and will take effect from the date of notification of the update.
(c) Terms and Conditions available on www.safaricom.co.ke
NOTE: SAFARICOM DATA BUNDLES ARE NOT FOR RE-SALE AND CAN ONLY BE PURCHASED FROM SAFARICOM AS INDICATED IN THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS. SAFARICOM SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE IN ANY MANNER WHATSOEVER FOR DATA BUNDLES PURCHASED FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE.
Was this article helpful?