The UI community was engulfed with the news of a fire outbreak at the Obafemi Awolowo Hall this morning involving a 500 level student of the Department of Civil Engineering who has now been rushed to UCH after being referred from Jaja clinic.
According to sources, the student, identified as Iyanuoluwa in room G30 was cooking in her room when a loud bang and a scream was heard. The room was totally burnt and it also affected the next room a little.
Further sources claimed she was using a “biofuel stove” and was trying to refill it while cooking when it caught fire giving her a scare that made her push it down from the table therefore leading to the stove’s explosion. Simultaneously, the victim’s dress caught fire and her body got severely burnt
She was rushed to Jaja clinic immediately from where she was transferred to UCH. Our correspondence who happened to be at Jaja confirmed that the doctor said it must be a second degree burn.
Her coursemates meanwhile, have sent condolence messages saying that the mechanism of the fire was like an explosion and that what caused it was that she was trying to refill while the stove was still on. Another of her course mates who commented on her frail physiques prayed that she survives the burns